I've been included in a Minnesota anthology "Under Purple Skies", now available on Amazon!

My second chapbook, "The Second Book of Pearl: The Cats" is now available as either a paper chapbook or as a downloadable item. See below for the Pay Pal link or click on its cover just to the right of the newest blog post to download to your Kindle, iPad, or Nook. Just $3.99 for inspired tales of gin, gambling addiction and inter-feline betrayal.

My first chapbook, I Was Raised to be A Lert is in its third printing and is available both via the PayPal link below and on smashwords! Order one? Download one? It's all for you, baby!

Thursday, June 6, 2019

Please Accept this Individually Packaged Coffee Creamer as a Token of my Esteem


I don’t want to get bogged down in the facts – as one does – but I’ve been working for a little more than 100 years now.

What?  Sure I’m including the door-to-door selling of greetings cards in second grade.

I’m also including the clarinet-polka stylings of my misbegotten teenage years.

As my father once confided to me over a can of Pabst (his, not mine), “You work and you work and then you die.  Are you writing this down?”

I was not - I was six, after all - but I recall the words as if spoken yesterday; and I relay this to you now:  HELP ME.

Not big help.  Not pay-my-bills help.  A joke, maybe.  A Netflix recommendation.  Because if there’s one thing I think we could all use, every now and then, is a distraction.

My new boss has been wonderfully distracting. 

We are in our honeymoon period, and I'm thinking of buying her flowers.

“Can I just tell you that I feel we could be friends outside of work?”

I grin at her.  “And can I just tell you that I feel that we are friends, inside of work?”

She smiles.  Rochelle is attractive and slim, a quick-witted chick.  She stands.  "I know this is our touchbase, but can I leave you here while I run to the bathroom?  Sorry."

"Of course," I say.

She leaves.  I rifle through her drawers, take out a credit card in her name, and send her husband a picture of my feet.

"Sorry about that," she says.  "I have no bladder."

"Really?" I say.  "None at all?"

She sits down at her desk, frowns at her phone and puts it back in her purse.  "Not really,"  she says.  "I am just the peeing-ist person you'll ever meet."

"We should do a Happy Hour," I say.

"In the bathroom," she beams.

We laugh; and for a moment, we're both distracted. 

16 comments:

Amy said...

I can identify with Rochelle. Those posh rest rooms that have a lounge would be my ideal happy hour spot!

Sioux Roslawski said...

Pearl--I've been in some nice bathrooms that would be the perfect place for a happy hour. Perhaps you could write a photo and essay book about happy hours in weird places...

OR you could just drink lots in weird spots and enjoy the moment...

jono said...

2 days in a row and my heart is just aflutter! And highly entertained. Being able to drink and not go far to pee would be a real time saver and would help keep the stress of a full bladder on the low side. I relax just thinking about it!

jenny_o said...

I am getting mixed signals about your boss :)

Okay, here's a joke:

Q. What did the green grape say to the purple grape?
A. "OMG! BREATHE!!! BREEEEEEATHE!!!

joeh said...

So glad someone paid the cat's ransom.

Bill Lisleman said...

Happy Hour in the bathroom - oh that reminds me of parties way way back.
Your writing is as funny as ever.
My blog is still around if you want some distraction. Just promoting, I mean saying.

Elephant's Child said...

Hooray for distractions. And jealous thoughts about anyone whose bladder is less active than mine.

Gigi said...

Oh to have a boss you'd want to hang out with...I had one once.

All of that typed with a maniacal grin on my face; so happy to have you posting again. You've been missed.

Geo. said...

Drawer-rifling? Credit card? Naughty foot-photos? Now that's the Pearl I've come to depend on. But as for Netflix, I can heartily recommend the series, "Lucifer". It's engaging and instructive as we watch the morningstar angel --if I remember correctly, he was cast out of Heaven for the crime of Pride, and a third of the staff left with him. In this bright series, he leaves Hell to work justice into the minds and hearts of humans. It's a total kick.

Val said...

My husband bought a $5000 house as a distraction. After 3 months, renovations are complete. I might suggest sending pictures of his feet as his next project.

Joanne Noragon said...

Hmmm. That boss is a little to close and personal for me. Just saying.

Jeff said...

Credit card and feet pics? Don’t get it. That sounds like something done by your bus people? Is it rubbing off...

As for a distraction, my daughter turned me on to the Amazon show, “The Marvelous Mrs. Masiel”. It is very funny and if the show was to have start a WASPish version set in the Twin Cities, you’d be a wonderful star (especially since Mary Tyler Moore is no longer doing show gigs).

Sage

Cheryl said...


Shh. My husband thinks you're an imaginary friend. I know you're not and I'm so happy to hear from you.

Be careful of that boss/employee thing. She can give you the shaft and does that hurt!

Cheryl in Salida

Raymond Alexander Kukkee said...

You're writing again! I enjoy your sense of humour !

Linda O'Connell said...

So happy you are frequenting the internet and bathrooms and buses too, I hope.

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

And... just for a sweet moment...I'm distracted!