I've been included in a Minnesota anthology "Under Purple Skies", now available on Amazon!

My second chapbook, "The Second Book of Pearl: The Cats" is now available as either a paper chapbook or as a downloadable item. See below for the Pay Pal link or click on its cover just to the right of the newest blog post to download to your Kindle, iPad, or Nook. Just $3.99 for inspired tales of gin, gambling addiction and inter-feline betrayal.

My first chapbook, I Was Raised to be A Lert is in its third printing and is available both via the PayPal link below and on smashwords! Order one? Download one? It's all for you, baby!

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The View from the Bus

It is 6:47 on a Tuesday morning. 

You can imagine my excitement. 

It’s true I made it through Monday with minimal trauma, but when you wake up on a Tuesday morning wondering if it’s Friday yet, you’re in trouble.

Frankly, every time someone says something derogatory about Monday, Tuesday laughs silently, its bright eyes crinkling in amusement.

I’ve foregone my usual iPod diversion on this day.  It is too cold to pull it out of my purse, the mercury reaching an anemic 9 degrees Fahrenheit; and even if I wanted to take off my gloves to work the touch screen, somehow, at this temperature, the earbuds will just fall out of my ears anyway.

Tuesday. Tuesday in the winter. 

The bus is warm, though; and after coughing asthmatically into my elbow for a bit, I close my eyes. 

And when I open them, a couple stops later, I look out the window.  There is a man there.  Hatless, gloveless, an unzipped, thin cotton jacket his only protection against the wind that Canada insists we share in. 

Hey.  The man spreads his arms wide, grinning.  You lookin’ good.  What you doin’ later?

Well that’s different.  I don’t think I’ve ever been hit on through a bus window.

Wait. 

I turn my head, look around the bus.

Yep.  He’s talking to me. 

I turn back to the window, spread my hands, mouth my response.  Dude, where’s your coat?

The bus pulls away.

I close my eyes, smiling.


I still got it. 

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do indeed...and hey...what's that crack about Canada all about eh?

Anonymous said...

So you've still got "it"? I lost "it" some time ago--hang onto yours!!

Mac n' Janet said...

You're getting way too much enjoyment out of your bus rides, they may have to up your fare.

Pearl said...

In all fairness to Canada, the wind also passes through North Dakota, so we have them to blame as well. :-)

fishducky, I may still have it, at least as far as the questionably sane folk go!

Mac n' Janet, it's true. Shhhhh. :-)

vanilla said...

Your column is the only thing, the only thing, that even remotely makes me yearn for the urban life again.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Clearly he was running a fever... for you of course, m'dear, for you... YAM xx

jenny_o said...

Of COURSE, you still got it.

But it never hurts to have it verified now and then :)

Geo. said...

I don't care what it says about my sanity, Pearl, I think you're delightful.

Leenie said...

Canada and Siberia have been so generous this year! Loving the glimpse of your cheery face through a bus window can make even a guy on the way to becoming an icicle grin.

Merlesworld said...

It's always great when someone notices you the world is full of cold and lifeless faces a happy alive person always stands out even if he didn't have the sense to wear a warm coat.
Merle...........

Catalyst said...

Yes you do, Pearlie May, yes you do.

Elephant's Child said...

You most definitely do have it. And when the mere sight of you can warm the cold, you have it in spades...

Mary Koppel said...

You've definitely got it, madam. Somewhat frozen, but definitely there under the icicles...

Sioux Roslawski said...

Was it your perky good looks, your radiant smile, or...your coat?

Just kidding. I know your coat was just icing on the cake for the street guy.

Chicken said...

And what's more, you'll always have it.

Linda O'Connell said...

It's your radiance that warmed the cockles of the guy's heart.

Pat Tillett said...

You definitely still got it! You've probably also have frost bite...

Rose said...

My get-up-and-go got up and went long ago. I would probably have some shaky old man with 2 inch thick glasses hit on me!

Jocelyn said...

I so love these moments and love these guys who totally make our days this way. Dude here is awesome.

This post is really just your way of saying you want a pair of touch-screen-friendly gloves for Christmas, right?

the walking man said...

Yep passes from AK to Canada to the Dakota's and MN and arrives with brutality in MI. I'd like to thank the man in the unzipped coat for testing the cold and the cold pouring more of it on.

All that said we're all better off than Buffalo NY.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Hey, it is always good to feel wanted, especially on a cold Tuesday morning.

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

Seriously, if you can get hit on at that hour and in that cold air, you've got it to burn. But we all knew that, didn't we?