I've been included in a Minnesota anthology "Under Purple Skies", now available on Amazon!

My second chapbook, "The Second Book of Pearl: The Cats" is now available as either a paper chapbook or as a downloadable item. See below for the Pay Pal link or click on its cover just to the right of the newest blog post to download to your Kindle, iPad, or Nook. Just $3.99 for inspired tales of gin, gambling addiction and inter-feline betrayal.

My first chapbook, I Was Raised to be A Lert is in its third printing and is available both via the PayPal link below and on smashwords! Order one? Download one? It's all for you, baby!

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Sorry -- You've Got Meme On You

The rules of the game are that I have to admit to seven quirky personality traits that are evidenced in my blog, then pass it on to seven other bloggers who will do the same.

We have Kevin at Helminthdale – which is just south of Helm’s Deep, I believe – to thank for this bit of silliness. Everyone go over there and razz him.

While quite sure that I have no quirky personality traits, I’m also quite sure that I do, so ambiguity aside, let’s get right to it, shall we?

1. I am absolutely sure that I know exactly what is going on around here, and yet am constantly baffled by what is going on around here. People mistake the look on my face for serenity, but I’m actually confused. I find two margaritas, applied internally, usually does the trick. I don’t know any more than I did before, but I care less.

2. Generally speaking, I like people. For days at a time. And then I don’t. There are days where everyone I see is ugly, unhappy, suspicious, and untrustworthy. And then I realize that it’s not them I’m looking at – it’s me. One thing writing a blog has shown me is that most of what I find annoying in situations/others is what I find annoying in myself.

3. I have extensive musical interests. My idea of hell is a party where only the music from my high school years is played. Aerosmith, AC/DC, Zeppelin all have their place, but I can go the rest of my life without hearing “Walk This Way” again. It's different for everyone. For me, it's "Walk This Way".

4. I intensely dislike being caught in the rain without an umbrella. I dislike this so much I’ve actually written about it, which is either a sign of how sincere I am about it or a statement of just what kind of crap you can be reduced to writing when you write a daily blog.

5. When I have a lot to do and a short time to do it, I’m fabulously productive. When I have all the time in the world and nothing planned, I sit on my butt in front of the television secretly congratulating myself on never having received an invitation to appear on The Maury Povich Show (all the while watching The Maury Povich Show). Now that’s classy!

6. Despite certain blogs labeled “My Cat Has a Secret Life”, I do not actually suspect Liza Bean Bitey (of the Minneapolis Biteys) of living a James-Bond-esque existence. It amuses me to think so, however, so I shall continue to insist that it’s true.

7. In the right frame of mind, the bus is the cheapest entertainment out there. It is only when you start taking your own judgments/opinions regarding your fellow bus riders seriously that it becomes annoying. Or when someone accidentally hits you in the head with their bag. Or when someone really stinks. Or when someone will not shut the !@#$ up. At all other times it is amusing. Oh, and when they won’t move over on their own but need to be told “Please move so I can sit”. That’s annoying, too. Wait. What was my last point?

This is my first – and possibly last! – meme. I already feel that I’ve cheated myself/you out of a day of writing, and we’ve already covered (ad nauseam, I’m sure!) that I like to write every day.

I hereby and forthwith nominate the following blogs to carry on with seven quirky things about themselves, as evidenced by their blog.

Idiot Stew, a thoughtful man prone to beer drinking. And thought.
Kavi, someone who writes and offers insight on everything he sees.
Chris, an irreverent man with some excellent stories.
Rene, whether it’s poetry or observational humor, you always walk away feeling refreshed somehow…
Vic, whose blog’s conversational tone makes me wonder why she doesn’t offer me a beer. And then I remember, she’s in California and we don’t know each other.
Red Squirrel, a smart ass of the first order. Also claims to be good at pub quizzes, but he might be lying about that.
Douglas, often acting as the Voice of Reason but possibly doing all his blogging in his underwear under a palm tree in his backyard.

I could actually recommend a number of other blogs, so I shall.

Jules? Complete freak. You should go.

Mandy’s Kidding? Funny gal. Owes me money. (Not really.)

Braja? Woke up and found herself in India. True story.

Both Sweet Cheeks and Powdergirl, whose blogs have gone "by invitation only" for the time being are also favorites.

See? This is how you get in trouble. You start listing blogs and I've already left off about 60 other blogs. I read an awful lot of them, love each and every one.

Dar? Joce? Ann? I still love you.

Pearl out.

26 comments:

♥ Braja said...

Oh, and #2? I would have ended the whole thing after "....and then I don't." Cos that woulda been my own truth...

rtju said...

Nice Lord of the Rings reference. Helm's Deep, just down the road from Orthanc lane if I remember correctly.

I think your list is spot on. You are one quirky lady, but we still love ya.

♥ Braja said...

Unless of course anyone reading this thinks I'm speaking of them.

Cos I'm not.

I think.

Meh....whatever....

xoxoxo

rtju said...

Braja, you should have turned left at Albuquerque.

darsden said...

Funny 7's and I love your discloser at the bottom ;-)

Douglas said...

Ha! I do not have a palm tree in my backyard. And if you continue to show that photo around, I may have to accuse you of photoshopping it. Or whatever else that works.

Jodie Kash said...

The title of this post is still making me giggle. And thanks for not calling meme out; how many sexual proclivities could I attest too? I have hobbies.

IB said...

Typically I shy away from all of this goofiness, but if you're lookin' for quirky, you've come to the right place.

The problem is now I have to go back and read all of the drivel I've been writing the last year or so and look for evidence of said quirkiness. Oh. wait. It probably won't take that long. Only 7 you say?

MJenks said...

No, I pretty much agree with you. I could live a very happy, very fulfilled life without hearing "Walk This Way" one more time.

anon said...

Aw Pearl, thanks for the mention. I hate this whole 'invite only' thing. It seems so unfriendly, and hey, I'm Friendly.

I've read all the people you've pointed us too, all great picks, thanks for the mornings entertainment : )

Red Squirrel said...

Wow, you really did meme me (mememe?)

I don't do memes as a rule, but seeing as it's you I'll give it a go. Not sure where I'll find 7 from though.... :-P

The Topiary Cow said...

Ah love Helminthdale, and glad to meet you through Kevin.

This was a great post!

nsiyer said...

Nice tagging. Love to read more. Well written.

zipbagofbones said...

You think the bus is great (or...wait, how did that one end?) I'm sure you know about the Light Rail after a Vikings game. There's some entertainments for you, so long as you don't mind being shoved in the face by elbows or vomited upon. Then it's awesome.

Mr London Street said...

I agree, public transport is almost always more entertaining than reality television.

Vic said...

I'd definitely offer you a beer if you were here! I'll just put one in the mail, how 'bout? (Can you mail beer? Good, something else I have to google now...)

I'm 90 percent quirks, myself, so I should be able to figure something out.

Kevin Musgrove said...

Yay! Good seven (better than mine!)

Number seven is an eternal verity.

Anonymous said...

Pearl...

Thanks for acknowledging me. I love you as dearly as (translates to more than) many of my 'real life' friends...despite the fact we've never met. Gems like you and Red Squirrel are treasures!

Thank you for your willingness to take a risk in getting to know me...which is how any of us become friends anyway.

Your cat is pretty handy when I need a private detective as well!
;-)

Love ya!
Sweet Cheeks~

The Jules said...

Freak?

Would a freak do this?

Eh?

Er . . . I was making a serious face at my computer screen . . .

Ann Imig said...

Awww, Pearl. I consider your NOT tagging me a pay it forward (Vodka Mom's theme today).

Even though I've become a complete misfit, I will always be a fan of your fantastic writing.

KMcJoseph said...

I identify with #5 quite a bit.

Mike said...

I like number 3! I am all about music!

Green-Eyed Momster said...

Oh Pearl, you are funny!

I have to ditto your #2. That sounds weird but I feel the same way.
My #3 is We will, We will Rock you. or TNT we're dynamite...ugh...

Hey, I'm proud of not being invited to the Maury Povich or the Jerry Springer shows so we have something in common!

Hugs!!

Gadjo Dilo said...

No. 5 is sober but so true: if you want something done quickly ask a busy person. I personally can't stand umbrellas, but I do accept that other people have a right use them.

Kavi said...

'Insight on everything he sees' was generous of you. To say the least !

:)

Thank you indeed !

The bus is the cheapest entertainment out there ! Sure. And i would like to extend it. To wherever people are around.

And all you need to do, is to just sit there and watch. it helps if you are invisible. But its ok. Even othwerise !

Eskimo Bob said...

Geez - I take a little brake and the whole world goes down the toilet. . . ok not down the toilet. But not a shout-out!?

I'm a slacker.

I'm a shameless self-promoter what can I say? I get it from my mother. She would often tell me - I'm not gonna stick up for you - so you better.

Ok - that has nothing to do with self-promotion and just twisted images from a tainted youth.

Oh what's the use. . . the post is a day old. No one ever comes back to the comment graveyard. Hello! (hello) (helllloo)