I've been included in a Minnesota anthology "Under Purple Skies", now available on Amazon!

My second chapbook, "The Second Book of Pearl: The Cats" is now available as either a paper chapbook or as a downloadable item. See below for the Pay Pal link or click on its cover just to the right of the newest blog post to download to your Kindle, iPad, or Nook. Just $3.99 for inspired tales of gin, gambling addiction and inter-feline betrayal.

My first chapbook, I Was Raised to be A Lert is in its third printing and is available both via the PayPal link below and on smashwords! Order one? Download one? It's all for you, baby!

Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Showdown at the OK-But-Can-Ya-Make-It-Happen Corral


A slip of paper with what appears to be a prescription written on it appears at my desk.  I look up.

“I need this meeting this week.”

I slide the paper over and read:  MTG next 48?  Oh no.  I look up.  “A meeting this week?  In the next two days?”

“Yes.”

I have a sudden view of the back of my own skull.  “We can try.  Who should be in it?”

“Me, Lorena, Hein, and Christoph.”

I squint, in that adorably astigmated way I have.  “Lorena and Christoph are in Frankfurt.”

“Yes.”

“But you don’t come in until 9:00,” I say.  “That’s their 4:00."  I wiggle my eyebrows.  "In European, that's 1600.”

“Yes.”

“And...”

“Can you make it happen?”

“My first thought, I say, smiling, “is that you make yourself available earlier.”

“No.”

“No?”

“Nein.  I work late.  I need that time in the morning.”  She sighs.

“Well, I can look.”  Clack clack clack.  “Nope.  They do not have 1600 available either day.”

“Can you ask them if they’ll stay late?”

I set my elbow on my desk, set my chin in my hands.  “Why would they want to stay late?”

“Hmm.  But you can ask them, right?”

I smile.  “Do you want to ask them?”

“No.”

“Sure,” I say.  “Yeah.  I can ask them.”

“Work your magic, Pearl.  Really appreciate this.”  She gives me pistol-fingers as she backs away from my desk.



Pew pew!

28 comments:

Z said...

My daughter used to be a PA in London. At one time, she had three guys whom she answered to. They used to vie with each other to give her an urgent piece of work latest, so that he could be the most important. After 5pm, she could legitimately say she couldn't start it until the next morning, so rather a lot used to turn up after 4.45.

Should Fish More said...

I lived in Germany, north of Frankfurt '08-09, the company i worked for had acquired a similar company in Bad Kissengen. I had at the time a smart phone that didn't require anyone calling from the US to 'dial' the international code. That meant that at at 4pm their time I'd get a call from someone who didn't know where I was. Glad to hear from you, it's nearly summer here in MT. Cheers, Mike

jenny_o said...

A pox on people who think the world should cater to them! Too many of them use that to advance in their jobs, but it doesn't make them good bosses, and it sure doesn't make people feel kindly toward them.

I'm glad you're still writing, Pearl. You have too much talent to stop.

Pearl said...

It's so lovely to hear/see you all again!

Pearl

joeh said...

Glad to hear your voice again.

Shelly said...

I hope they pay you what you’re worth-

Vicus Scurra said...

She's back! She's back! It's the same one.

This is the first step in putting the world back the way it should be.

I will pass you a note asking you to get rid of your president.

Elephant's Child said...

You are back!!!
I wonder whether if more of the Pearls of this world declined to work their magic their employers would learn to behave more reasonably.

Gigi said...

SHE'S BACK!!!! You just made my whole day!

Sioux Roslawski said...

Pearl--You're baaaaaaaaaaaaack!

wellfedfred said...

so happy to read you...I’m going to consider you a good omen.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I can relate very well. I took it for a year and then looked for another job. I worked 50 hours a week and got paid for 37 1/2.

So nice to see your blog on my dashboard. I hope you have been doing well.

Geo. said...

YAY!

Joanne Noragon said...

Hoping this is not an annual post....
It's mighty fine to have you back. I'd quote all above, but Geo''s YAY says it all.

Shelly said...

And I also wanted to mention that because I wanted to read and comment on your post, I had to remember my Blogger password, which I thiught had been lost in the abyss of age. Eureka! It bobbed right up.

sage said...

Great to see you back, Pearl...

I’m now blogging mostly at www.thepulpitandthepen.com (I came out of the closet, but not that one).

Jono said...

Are you allowed to shoot back?

EBB-71 said...

I thought, "Pearl? Pearl wh-Holy shit! THAT Pearl!"

It's so nice to see you in my inbox that it doesn't really matter what you wrote; I'm going to savor it anyway. 😂❤️

Diane Tolley said...

Quickest draw at the desk.
Sadly, it doesn’t seem to do much good. Sigh.

Murr Brewster said...

GAAAAAHHH! And nice to see you!

Jeannie said...

Nice to see you writing your blog again.Your literary humor has been missed.

Linda O'Connell said...

I am giving you the pistol fingers because you are BACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.
People regard you highly. They know you can work wonders with words. Like planning a meeting despite time zones. Glad to hear from you.

Amy said...

I just cyber-stalked your blog earlier this week, wishing to "hear" your voice again! So happy to see this post!

Bill Lisleman said...

Wow you're posting again! (backing away with my pistol hands) pew pew

Ernie said...

I am new here. Following Gigi's recommendation. Based on all of the above . . . I too am glad you are back.

Anonymous said...

You get such a strong sense of the jerk-ness before the pistol-fingers even happen.

vfh159 said...

So happy to see you back.

Janice Kiser said...

Well it took me until the end of June, but I found out you are back. I’m so happy to read your posts. You made my day.