I've been included in a Minnesota anthology "Under Purple Skies", now available on Amazon!

My second chapbook, "The Second Book of Pearl: The Cats" is now available as either a paper chapbook or as a downloadable item. See below for the Pay Pal link or click on its cover just to the right of the newest blog post to download to your Kindle, iPad, or Nook. Just $3.99 for inspired tales of gin, gambling addiction and inter-feline betrayal.

My first chapbook, I Was Raised to be A Lert is in its third printing and is available both via the PayPal link below and on smashwords! Order one? Download one? It's all for you, baby!

Monday, January 25, 2016

I’d Like to Buy the World a Coke

It’s dark out. 

This does not surprise me, of course, as it’s been dark since, oh, I dunno, 2012?  It is winter.  We go to work in the dark.

And we return in the dark.

It’s easy to get caught up in the gloom. 

The woman on the bus directly in front of me is a regular.  I’ve seen her get on and off the bus for several years now.  Bundled from head to foot, all five feet of her speaks of separateness.  She is an immigrant, dark skinned and dark eyed.  She sits on the aisle side of the seat, keeping the window seat empty.  This is considered somewhat rude, for the most part, but we Minnesotans are a non-confrontational little group, and so she sits alone. 

There are three high school students that get on three stops after I do.  As a bus, we’ve watched them and their school uniforms grow up. 

Today one of them is tearing through his pockets, his backpack, in a manner all bus riders know and dread.

Where is my bus pass?

The bus pulls away – we have a timetable to adhere to, while they all search for money.

It appears that no one is carrying cash.

The woman in the seat ahead of me stands.  She walks briskly down the aisle, holding out the $2.25 fare.

“Here,” she says in accented English.  “Go to school.”

She walks back to her seat – and after a moment’s hesitation, slides to the seat next to the window.

Something akin to an electric shock runs through my body.  I lean forward, put my hand on her shoulder.  She turns to me.

“That was such a nice thing to do,” I say.  “Hi.  My name is Pearl.”

What is that emotion on her face? 

“My name is Esperanza,” she says.

And we smile at each other.

“Happy Monday,” I say.


“Yes,” she says thoughtfully.  “A happy Monday.”

25 comments:

Perpetua said...

An thus are relationships kindled. Well done, both of you.

jenny_o said...

And THAT was such a nice thing to do, too.

We can all do our part, right?

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Well, that warmed my heart on this very cold day.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Great Monday, I'd say... YAM xx

Joanne Noragon said...

A good story for a Monday; better because it's pleased so many.

Linda said...

You are right, it does seem like it's dark all the time. Your experience on the bus warmed my heart & restored my belief there are still good & decent people. Too bad we don't hear more about them.

fmcgmccllc said...

Does not look to me like you have lost a step, and that was kind of you to speak to her. Don't hate me but it is light her at 5:45 PM now a days.

Jono said...

That didn't turn out the way I thought it would. It was much better.

Linda O'Connell said...

In perfect harmony. Good people in the world, and you are one, too.

sage said...

A good story!

Gigi said...

Ah Pearl...a story to warm the heart. There may or may not have been a damp eye over here. I'd like to think that there are more people like Esperanza and you in the world.

You've still got it!

Connie said...

So nice to encounter random kindness. :)

Anonymous said...

Quite possibly the most beautiful story you have ever written here.

River said...

Nice to finally meet after all those years travelling the same bus.

Launna said...

Awe, this was such a sweet story Pearl, what a great feel good story xox ♡♡♡

Geo. said...

Sometimes, Pearl, after a hectic day like this one, you anchor me. Thanks.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Hello is sometimes all that is needed, for someone to relax and smile

Catalyst said...

Wow! Two great Minnesotans. Pearl, you and Esperanza both deserve a hand.

Jocelyn said...

There's a thing that just happened here, as I read. And it was me getting teary. 'Cause I needed that.

Leenie said...

Go to school. One of the most important things we can do. Hope the students were taking notes on generosity and kindness. Happy Monday, Pearl.

Murr Brewster said...

Tears. More than one. Cheers.

Alexandra said...

You couldn't have made up a more fitting name if you tried.

Rose L said...

I hope you speak to her again. She has probably always waited for that greeting.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that beautiful snapshot of humanity.

Watson said...

All of the above, and Thanks! :-)