I've been included in a Minnesota anthology "Under Purple Skies", now available on Amazon!

My second chapbook, "The Second Book of Pearl: The Cats" is now available as either a paper chapbook or as a downloadable item. See below for the Pay Pal link or click on its cover just to the right of the newest blog post to download to your Kindle, iPad, or Nook. Just $3.99 for inspired tales of gin, gambling addiction and inter-feline betrayal.

My first chapbook, I Was Raised to be A Lert is in its third printing and is available both via the PayPal link below and on smashwords! Order one? Download one? It's all for you, baby!

Monday, October 27, 2014

Winter's Peepin'; or Don't Get Too Comfortable

I’m worried about the weather.

Frankly, it’s nice out. And this is why I’m worried. You see, it’s even more than nice – it’s beautiful. Temperatures have been downright agreeable, not a cloud in the sky. All very picturesque. All very friendly.

There’s something peculiar about that.

You can almost hear it, winter lying in wait, lulling you toward complacency while plotting to freeze your car locks open/closed.

Minnesota is the state that promises to hold your seat while you run to the bathroom only to have you find, upon your return, that her friends have taken up residence and they’re now mocking your choice of drink.

What’s your hurry? she whispers, a soft warm breeze in your ear. No need to check on your snowblower! We’re so far beyond that, you and I. Now why don’t you just throw down a blanket, lay in the sunshine for a while…

And then BLAMMO! Two feet of snow fall on you and they find your body in the spring.

Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Lakes. The “Brainpower” State. The State that Thinks You Would Look Better Blue.

Of course, you’ll remind me in February of how unfair I was to autumn, won’t you? After I’ve written my 30th straight post on how the weather is trying to kill me? After I’ve blathered on yet again regarding my astonishment over how I can now keep ice cream frozen quite solidly in the trunk of my car?

Heh, heh, heh. The car as four-wheeled icebox never gets old for me.

Still, I try to enjoy the seasons, but there’s been a change in the light, you see, and I think that’s what I find most troubling. We are mere days away from the shift, from the vivid colors of autumn turning to the brittle, it’s-only-recently-died look of fall.

We are mere days away from the discovery, once again, that winter is not our friend -- which means we are mere days away from another post on the restorative qualities of made-from-scratch gravy.

Hmm.  Maybe it won't be all bad.

Gravy.

22 comments:

Mac n' Janet said...

I don't do winter, I seldomly ever venture above the Mason/Dixon line. As a young child my family moved from California to Missouri and I saw my first snow. Went out to play, like to have froze my hands, thought I'd injured them and went in and covered them in bandaids.

vanilla said...

The State that sends comedians to Washington. Sorry about that. Do hope you don't get a two-foot covering of snow any time soon.

Dawn@Lighten Up! said...

"... to the brittle, it’s-only-recently-died look of fall."
Brown. Gray. Brown. For six months. Kill me now, Pearl, kill me now.

Pearl said...

M&J, ...and Missouri cold is nothing like Minnesota cold. :-) But the Bandaids were not a bad idea!!

Vanilla, that's MN for you. :-) We get kinda funny up here.

Dawn, ah, yes, and we're heading there, aren't we? I'm just planning on attending at least two big parties a month until someone makes me stop. :-)

joeh said...

Just be ready to gut a buffalo.

joeh said...

If that was not from one of your posts...sorry, I'm not weird...really.

Should Fish More said...

1,000 miles west of you it's the same. Nicest October I've ever seen here. We have the same weather you have, it just starts earlier and lasts longer. Our last measurable snow was June 17th this year, the first was Sept 17th. But since then it's been nearly 65 every darn day.

Anonymous said...

We tremble on the edge of misery you and I...sisters of the puffy down coat and ear flaps.

jenny_o said...

Got my spoon ready. Our weather has just turned to true-fall.

Joanne Noragon said...

It's as beautifully ominous in Ohio, too. I put up the bird feeders early, to give my flying pigs a head start.

Marty said...

Here in Massachusetts I'm already thinking of white:
noodles
pasta
bread
Something about cold weather turns me into the Pillsbury doughgirl.

Geo. said...

Enjoyable post, Pearl! Still warm in California. 2 months til rains come and we get to see what slides off the state this time.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Oh those balmy pre-winter warmers... lap 'em up Pearl; then when taking gravy, envision them! YAM xx

Suldog said...

Similar in this neck of the woods (although Minnesota is one of the few places I'm willing to grant primacy to, versus New England, when it comes to winter fierceness.) We are still getting enough 60 degree days to not break out the winter wardrobe.

Gigi said...

As I'm typing this I'm listening to the weatherman tell us we may get our first freeze this weekend. I think I hate him.

Jayne Martin said...

You can even make the weather interesting. Of course, you have weather. Here in California it's just sunshine day in and day out...

;)

Chicken said...

Yes, Jayne, sunshine and tarantulas. Can't forget about them. At least I can't. I heard a snow rumor today for this weekend. I ain't scared.

Leenie said...

How would we live without seasons and weird weather to keep us on our toes, toughen us up and to shove ice in our shoes when we forget where we stashed our boots?

River said...

Gravy does have the power to cure several ills, but check on the snowblower too, just in case.

Linda O'Connell said...

I came home to find every danged leaf on the ground under the little red bud tree. I shook my fist at winter and dared to say, "I dare you!"
85 degrees yesterday, but winter is inching closer with 50's and early darkness this week. Ugh!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

After the "winter from hell" last year, I am afraid, very afraid.

Connie said...

I'm uneasy too. The weatherman is predicting the first snow to arrive here this weekend. :( I am not ready.