I've been included in a Minnesota anthology "Under Purple Skies", now available on Amazon!

My second chapbook, "The Second Book of Pearl: The Cats" is now available as either a paper chapbook or as a downloadable item. See below for the Pay Pal link or click on its cover just to the right of the newest blog post to download to your Kindle, iPad, or Nook. Just $3.99 for inspired tales of gin, gambling addiction and inter-feline betrayal.

My first chapbook, I Was Raised to be A Lert is in its third printing and is available both via the PayPal link below and on smashwords! Order one? Download one? It's all for you, baby!

Saturday, September 4, 2010

I Hear Stovepipe Hats are Back in Style

Some things never go out of style. A black pencil skirt, for example. Buy a good lined skirt, try not to gain any weight, and you’re going to get a lot of use out of it.

But some things kinda came and went, didn’t they? Is there a Nehru jacket in your closet? A dashiki? A pair of gauchos? (Which amuses me to this day, as I believe a “gaucho” is Spanish for “cowboy”, in which case I may not have a pair of gauchos in my closet but would certainly entertain the idea of adopting a couple – for altruistic purposes, of course.)

I told someone once that I would wholeheartedly endorse a work uniform; and I’m still up for it. Hell – I’m thinking of doing it without it being a requirement. Would anyone notice if I were to, say, come in to work every day in a blue skirt, a white blouse, and maybe a scarf around my neck, just for a bit of “look-how-I’ve-dressed-this-up” jauntiness?

And it’s not just clothing. Even foods seem to have eras. At one time in the U.S. it seems that every fast food joint had a “potato bar”. Chili on your tater? Cheese? Sour cream? Jellied eel? Honestly, who doesn’t want to see how much stuff they can pile on a baked potato?

And when was the last time you had fondue? Don’t you think it’s time?

We get bored, I think. How else to explain that this year’s “teal” is different than last year’s “aquamarine” or that the square-toed sturdiness of a Birkenstock differs from the square-toed sturdiness of a pair of Börns?

Or maybe it’s not boredom. Maybe it’s the need to be able to judge others based solely on having the right shade of blue on. Or maybe it’s a way of generating year-over-year profit.

Either way, I’m thinking a nice, proletariat “work uniform” never goes out of style.

Now where's my crinoline?

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd totally forgotten about the potato bar craze!
As for uniforms, for work I tend to keep my wardrobe black and white so that I can mix and match without thinking too much. I don't have too many fad styles because the cuts and shapes usually don't work with my proportions, so I stick to the classics. - G

Sam Liu said...

I think art, fashion, food, everything really, have trends and cycles. It's the way the world works. I know, for my part, I look back on the decades before I was born (the 80's in particular) and say to myself, "Wow...did people *actually* go out dressed like that?!". No doubt further generations will say the same about this decade :D

Fred Miller said...

Untied shoelaces and ripped pants. Mullets and mizpahs. My half of the mizpah turned green reacting to my skin. That's what happens with 3 karat gold.

The Fred Effect

Notes From ABroad said...

Hey Pearl ! I got your Gaucho right here .. lots of them .. all ages and sizes and Everything !!
I have eliminated the need for matching things and for having to be up on the latest trend, which happens every day so who can really keep up??
I wear black. All the time, with everything.
It works for me..
un beso .. from C ( surrounded by freaking gauchos)

lisahgolden said...

I'm still thinking about all the things I want to pile on my baked potato.

Herding Cats said...

One thing remains the same though, people love to enjoy the "classics." Things that never go out of style are most loved.

Nick said...

How about bean bags?

And, speaking of beans, ..... see my blog :)

Charlotte Ann said...

um...how do you get those two little dots above the word "Borns"?
I have those in my closet and would love to discuss them in print but ..well..it looks as those I'm discussing borns...
What about the parachute pants..and..I'll bet ya dont't remember the envelope pants do you?

Madame DeFarge said...

I will still stubbornly maintain my right to wear potato bars. You can't make me take them off.

Tom said...

I forgot about Gauchos. How funny. I hate seeing Fedora hats. They had their time and it is now over. Thank you Justin Timberlake.

Argent said...

Mmmmm, baked potatoes - or jacket potatoes as we tend to call them here! There was a Spud-U-Like franchise once upon a time in these parts, but I tihnk it's not there any more. As to a work uniform: mine's a pair a grey jogging pants, trainers and whatever t-shirt comes out of the drawer first.

Lisa said...

I'd give anything to have crinoline come back...but then there's that whole "waist melding into enormous skirt" thing that would also mean bringing back the girdle. Which means less food for me to skarf down...which means never mind.

Gigi said...

Some days I, too, long for a work uniform so I don't have to put so much thought and effort into getting dressed on Mondays. But then, I do have my "old standbys" which usually makes their appearance on those kinds of mornings....

Notes From ABroad said...

Caroline, on my Mac , it would be... Press Option.. then the letter U.
then hit the letter O and you have Börn. :)

Notes From ABroad said...

I am sorry .. Charlotte Ann ... *I have no idea where the name Caroline came from )...

Douglas said...

Yeah, how often do you see poodle skirts these days?

Bill Lisleman said...

you are so right but you know that.
It's the evil marketing that have trained us to be obedient dogs to their wishes.

Casey Freeland said...

It's mostly about profit, I think. And yes, stovepipe hats are back in style. I'm wearing one right now.

Ever read, Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter? Great book.

Cheers,

Casey

Cloudia said...

You have a clear, and entertainingly warped eye; lucky for us!




Aloha from Waikiki

Comfort Spiral

Joanna Jenkins said...

Somewhere in the very back of my closet is a fondue pot that hasn't been used in years. But my black skirt-- I have it in 3 sizes ;-)
Happy weekend, jj

Tempo said...

Potato bar? Oh, now you've gone and ruined it for me when that particular craze comes down under... (it takes a while for your fads to get here dont you know)
I'd love to stay and chat but my Flairs need ironing and my Platform Soles need polishing...

Jhon Baker said...

I have no problem passing judgment on others all in reference to what shade of blue they wear. Some just are simply hideous on certain people and they should be lit on fire.

Unknown said...

It's so funny that you brought this up because I JUST made jellied eel preserves tonight.

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

If you Google "six pieces of clothing" you'll find stories about a challenge based on someone who wore the same six items for a month. Nobody noticed, or at least nobody said anything to her face. Now that I'm working from home, I'll just wear the same jeans and sweatshirt for a week or two at a time. Woo-hoo!