I've been included in a Minnesota anthology "Under Purple Skies", now available on Amazon!

My second chapbook, "The Second Book of Pearl: The Cats" is now available as either a paper chapbook or as a downloadable item. See below for the Pay Pal link or click on its cover just to the right of the newest blog post to download to your Kindle, iPad, or Nook. Just $3.99 for inspired tales of gin, gambling addiction and inter-feline betrayal.

My first chapbook, I Was Raised to be A Lert is in its third printing and is available both via the PayPal link below and on smashwords! Order one? Download one? It's all for you, baby!

Sunday, March 7, 2010

I’m Sorry – What’s That?

There’s something wrong with my ears.

“Yew shoulda seed gordin puffinuntin thuther day.”

What?!

This has been going on for a while now, this need to say “huh?” in response to questions. I blame affordable concert prices in my youth, although in all fairness I have to admit that in addition to the intermittent ringing in my ears since Purple Rain, we now have the slurring with which to contend.

Oh, not my slurring: it’s everyone else’s slurring that is messing me up.

But I’ve noticed this slurring of one word into another primarily in men.

Like a recent conversation in which the sentence “yew shoulda seed gordin puffinuntin thuther day” popped up.

Again: What?!

Sure, it looks easy now; but at the time, there had been no hint of anything Gordon-Ramsey related in the conversation.

How it came up, I’ll never know.

And who talks about puffin hunting?

I guess I had never considered puffins a sport bird.

I don’t know. Maybe it’s my ears.

And maybe it’s the close-lipped speech of some people.

All I know is that guy better stop making fun of my bewilderment over “puffinuntin”.

After all, I laugh at his jokes.

I figgeree yoze me.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the tail end of my happy hour!

Secretia

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Purple Rain was my FIRST concert! But I was in 7th grade so my Dad took me. I wonder how much he enjoyed Sheila E's opening act when she simulated oral sex on some guy from the audience...?

Irish Gumbo said...

Don't make the puffins angry!

Nuke Girl said...

Ha! I have this problem, too. I can hear a cat twitching its whiskers from a hundred yards away, but understanding someone standing 3 feet away? Forget it. I'm good with sounds, no words please. :)

Yodood said...

Yeah, what's up with the new form of double speak, as if their ideas are so important they must cram it all in before being interrupted, which of course gets you to say, "Huh?" indicating your undivided attention and permission to slur it all together in longer squeetenceegees.

Ann Imig said...

Back when I was a Thespian I worked diligently on using my upper lip when I talk.

Did you notice that Midwesterners have completely abandon their upper lips?

Best,
Ann

Marla said...

Roasted puffin.....Yummo

Madame DeFarge said...

Sounds like most Glaswegians I know. They get everywhere.

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

Unfortunately, when I say "Huh?" the offender usually just repeats the same words, same pacing, same intonation, same volume. So whatever caused me to miss it the first time...strikes again.

Douglas said...

Since my early life on lawnguyland, I have been most painfully aware of the tendency of all human beings to blissfully de-enunciate (my word for it) when excited or when speaking in small social groups. A new, localized, rhythm of speech is developed that is understandable to the group. With age comes a loss of the ability to hear the almost indistinct pauses between the words.

And, since I spent a few too many hours at hard rock concerts (Led Zeppelin, Big Brother & the Holding Company, Iron Butterfly, and the like) without wads of cotton jammed in my ears, I also suffer from the "Huh?" malady.

(an aside... Ann, I never knew you were a thespian... Don't ask, don't tell, eh?)

Anonymous said...

Puffin the magic dragon was NOT a song about drugs I tell you....lol.
=]

Ms Sparrow said...

When I visited Iceland a few years ago, I was horrified to learn that they had puffin on the menu in some places. Those darling little fish eaters ARE hunted!

Golden To Silver Val said...

I agree...presently people seem to run their words all in together and expect you to understand it. When the "huh?" slips out before you can stop it...they will repeat it exactly the same except LOUDER. Now that I'm older and basically have more nerve...I tell them to slow down so I can understand wth they are saying!!

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

The older I get, the more people seem to slur their words. Damn them!

Barlinnie said...

Bottox can be a terrible thing...

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

I definitely visited a few too many "affordable concerts" in my youth, as well! I'm CONSTANTLY asking my husband to repeat himself. So he doesn't get mad, I tell him what I THOUGHT he said! That can be really, really funny!!

Kevin Musgrove said...

I suspect that somebody's told the youth of today that letters are in short supply. All those vowels they aren't using in textspeak are passing as intelligible spoken conversation. When you actually hear a real consonant (not just a glottal stop)(sorry, yo'a o') it comes like a slap in the face.

@eloh said...

You wake up on your 40th birthday half blind.... you know you are half blind and do something about it..... the hearing.... oh the hearing....unlike sight...what we miss with the ears we remain oblivious... with a healthy mix of inappropriate responses.......I'm so sorry, I thought you said you crapped your pants...etc.

the fly in the web said...

As if learning another language isn't difficult enough.....fondly believing Spanish sounded roughly the way it was written I went to Costa Rica and found that glaswegians had hijacked the language....Spanish with a glottal stop....

Huh?

anon said...

Sadly, that sentence meant exactly what I thought it meant on first reading.

Tempo said...

Oh, you only have the diminished sight and hearing then? ...I wont spoil it for you by telling you about the rest of the things that are just about to go wrong.....

Anonymous said...

LOL! I think people are speaking like that just to annoy you... ;-)

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Never your fault. It has to be other people.