I've been included in a Minnesota anthology "Under Purple Skies", now available on Amazon!

My second chapbook, "The Second Book of Pearl: The Cats" is now available as either a paper chapbook or as a downloadable item. See below for the Pay Pal link or click on its cover just to the right of the newest blog post to download to your Kindle, iPad, or Nook. Just $3.99 for inspired tales of gin, gambling addiction and inter-feline betrayal.

My first chapbook, I Was Raised to be A Lert is in its third printing and is available both via the PayPal link below and on smashwords! Order one? Download one? It's all for you, baby!

Friday, December 4, 2009

But I Already DID That!

Ladies and gentlemen, cats and kittens, nuts and bolts, we come to the trudging end of another work week; and, as is my wont, I will be using the songs on this morning’s commute to determine the course of the weekend.

Hmm. What have we got here?

She’s Hearing Voices by Bloc Party
Day of the Eagle by Robin Trower
Rubberband Man by The Spinners
The Fear by Lily Allen
Everybody’s Everything by Santana
Outta Harm’s Way by King Khan and The Torturers
I Got Mine by The Black Keys

Well I certainly will be “Hearing Voices” as I’ll be going to the State Theater this weekend to see The Swell Season. But the rest of it?

My interpretive powers stink.

A lot of people’s powers of interpretation stink, though. Just yesterday morning, I was listening in as the woman in front of me described, in what can only be described as excruciating detail, a dream she had had the night before.

She and her seatmate agreed that any dream involving an ex-boyfriend and a storm that rips the roof off your house must mean that you should call him, that he’s sorry he cheated on you.

Me? I’m not so sure that’s what that means, but what do I know? Because while most people will insist that everyone dreams, I’ll have to take their word for it.

If I do dream, I rarely remember it.

Why dream when your waking life is so unbelievably fulfilling?

That doesn’t mean, however, that I never remember my dreams. In fact, I have a recurring dream; and I had it again yesterday.

You ready for this?

I dream that I’m already awake.


How’s that for a dream?

There I am: the alarm goes off, I get up, I scratch myself absentmindedly on the way to the bathroom, dragging the new day’s clothes with me. I wash/floss/brush various items, put on my make-up…

And then the alarm goes off again.

It goes off again!

For cryin’ out loud, I gotta get up again!

Dreaming is over-rated.

21 comments:

June said...

At least you know what your going to wear because you picked out your clothes in your dream. That saves time!

Pearl said...

Carol, that's an excellent point. :-)

The Jules said...

I dreamt I was in the back seat of my dad's car with my girlfriend, and we were getting it on with all the frenzied passion of typical seventeen year olds, when I suddenly had a huge nose bleed which we didn't notice in the dark for five minutes. Then, when we turned the little light on, she had comlpetely red boobs from some hard core nuzzling, and I had a red face, both literally and emotionally.

Actually, it wasn't a dream. It's a memory. I just wish it had been a dream.

Still, I wonder what it means?

Anonymous said...

Oh, Pearl, that happened to me to, dreamed that I was already awake, not enough sleep I think!

Secretia

MamaOtwins+1 said...

Dreaming is over-rated. Especially if you have to get up twice - I hate getting up!

Jayne Martin said...

Oh, yeah... that dreaming you're awake thing is the creepiest.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, the dreaming you're awake thing is the pits. I used to do it a lot - I'd be up and showered and ready to leave for work and...no. The alarm would go off and I'd still be in bed. Goddamn that's frustrating.

Douglas said...

I think the greater question is:

Why do we always scratch ourselves on the way to the bathroom in the morning?

I don't own an Ipod so I cannot predict my future.

Kelly said...

Just be glad you don't have those dreams that you have to go to the bathroom really really bad and in your dream you finally get to the toilet and you're all "Yessssssss" and then you wake up and, well, you get the picture.

Jess said...

The Fear...OMG I love Lily!!!

De Campo said...

I made the mistake of buying one of those dream interpretation books for a girlfriend long ago. Every dream after that was interpreted as me potentially covering her with spiders while she fell indefinitely while consumed with the feeling of drowning.

That went on for a while until I told her that I dreamed we broke up……

mapstew said...

Maybe you are still dreaming? eh? eh?

xxx

Madame DeFarge said...

It's the inappropriate dreams about work colleagues that upset me the most. I'll spare you the details, but I'm usually mortified for the whole week.

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

I think I've only ever had anxiety dreams... you know, the final grades are posted and I never attended a single class. Or a thousand people are arriving for a conference I'm putting on and I can't find the hotel. After those, waking up is a relief, sort of.

Neo said...

once was jolted awake by a dream but I don't remember what it was about. Dreaming is just a thing for your brain to do while you're 'out to lunch'

Unknown said...

I hate those dreams...because it makes me realize that my dreams are very boring..
but I would love to talk to you about them on the bus sometime, loudly...
"And so my dream was that I got up and flossed and brushed...what does this mean?"
"Oh Rene, it means you should quit your job and become an arc welder!"

Peace ~ Rene

Mike said...

My powers of interpretation suck! I read peoples poetry and draw blanks most of the time. I need shit to be spelled out!!

Kavi said...

Hope you are feeling much better now ! :)

anon said...

What Madam De Farge said.

Rene, arc weldings not a bad job, you should follow your dreams ; )

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Damn! Having to get up twice in the same day... that's just sad.

Unknown said...

Ohhh, I had a recurring dream about the north face of the Eiger for decades! Love dreams, they can tell you so much about your feelings and fears, if you listen to them.