I've been included in a Minnesota anthology "Under Purple Skies", now available on Amazon!

My second chapbook, "The Second Book of Pearl: The Cats" is now available as either a paper chapbook or as a downloadable item. See below for the Pay Pal link or click on its cover just to the right of the newest blog post to download to your Kindle, iPad, or Nook. Just $3.99 for inspired tales of gin, gambling addiction and inter-feline betrayal.

My first chapbook, I Was Raised to be A Lert is in its third printing and is available both via the PayPal link below and on smashwords! Order one? Download one? It's all for you, baby!

Friday, November 6, 2009

Oh, You'll Be Fine!

I’m feeling physically ambivalent these days – and honestly, I could go either way on that – and my recent bouts with feeling ill, feeling better, feeling ill, are beginning to wear on me. Get sick, get better, but do something!

Patience is my short suit, by the way. Sleeping under cats, multitasking, and verbal embroidery? I’m good at those things. I’m just not terribly good at waiting.

I wonder if I’m getting sick.

This has been going on for a couple weeks now; and today, at the time of this writing, I’m really starting to think that part of this whole “sick” thing I’ve been going through is psychological.

See, “sick” isn’t something my people do well. We don’t get sick. For example, while I’m relatively sure that they’ve been ill, I’m not sure my parents have ever seen a doctor. Ask them about it. Sure they’ll exchange meaningful looks, make oblique references to leaches and “humors”, sure, but admit to seeing a doctor? Seeing a doctor is tantamount to admitting to illness, which could be interpreted as you thinking that you’re “special”, somehow, which has overtones of bragging.

This is not how we do it in the Midwest.

My parents have never had questions like “I wonder if I’m getting sick?” for one very good reason.

Because they’re not. They’re not sick. They’re not sick now; they’re not going to be sick later; and even if they were, they wouldn’t tell you about it.

But here at Chez Pearl, would I be going overboard, would you think me attention-seeking, if I said I felt queasy?

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ll be on the couch, in a blanket.



And before I forget – how could I forget? – hearty handshakes and admiring glances to Beaux over at Something Happened Somewhere Turning. He’s a fairly new reader but he made some fabulous guesses and he wins! Beaux, send me your address and I’ll send you your prize. There will be a picture posted just as soon as I find that little cord that runs from the camera to the computer…

24 comments:

Everyday Goddess said...

Retreat to the couch. Don't call your parents. And succumb to being sick.
xo
Camille

kim said...

poor little Pearl...go grab a mug of hot tea, put on some A&E or Travel Channel and just chill for awhile....take a nap too!

:) take care

Jayne Martin said...

"Get your sissified ass off that couch. 'Queasy.' What are you? A damn girl? Oh, yeah, you are."

And so now, as an adult, you have to scrape me off the front of a truck to get me to a doctor. Sometimes feeling poorly is just the Universe's way of saying "slow down." Honor it... And feel better soon.

avalanche said...

Feel better, Pearl!

I'm a big proponent of steady consumption of Echinacea and Emergen-C. And lots of water.

Douglas said...

Faye tells me, when I am feeling unwell, that I need a "roll in bed with honey." Which would be fine if she is looking to become sick also. Personally, I get the flu once a year (whether I need to or not) and am as miserable a human being to be around as you could possibly imagine when I do. I really need to blog about my 2 year battle against a lung infection. It's heartwarming, funny, and incredibly depressing all at once.

Fantastic Forrest said...

The heck with the couch; go see a doctor. Seriously. If you've been feeling ill off and on over a couple of weeks, it's time to get help.

And if it is psychological, there are doctors for that, too. I'm from the Midwest originally, and while they may not do it that way there, I think you need to take care of yourself any way you can.

Kurt said...

My father's legs have never been exposed to sunlight. They are all pale and hairless. It's not the same as not seeing the doctor, but I think we can all agree, Ewww!

justsomethoughts... said...

i do hope you feel better from you not-sickness.

Donya Rose said...

I have loved watching your blog from time to time, and so far have resisted commenting - but this one demanded it. In the South we would advise you to "Take to your chaise and recline." But you've got to say it with the back of your left hand on your forehead, and the right accent ("Ah must taike to mah shayez ayund reeklahn." <- it's the best I can do to help with that part.) Hope it works!!

tattytiara said...

I just called 911 yesterday for someone who never gets sick and doesn't need doctors. Wouldn't have had to if he'd y'know, seen a doctor at some point to make sure he wasn't sick.

Just sayin'. Take good care of yourself, ok? I'd miss your blog!

Joanna Jenkins said...

I vote for the sofa, a heating pad and chicken soup to cure what ails you.

Hope you feel better.
xo

CJ said...

Well, even if you're not sick, how could a couch and soup hurt you? I mean, really!

ellen abbott said...

Feel weel soon.

Lauren said...

Yeah...I've had stomach pain for like 4 days. Not bend-you-half pain, juuuust enough to not want to make you eat pain. I've been told it's probably the flu. I feel fine otherwise. I'm with you. This whatever-I-have need to shit or get off the pot. I'm tired of just feeling mildly crappy.

I do hope, however, that you are feeling fabulous again soon.

Menopausal New Mom said...

Hi Pearl, when you feel like getting up off that couch, come on over to my place, I have an award for you!

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

My parents never believed us when we said we were sick... can you guess I'm originally from the midwest? No lollygagging around at our house!

One of the joys of being a grownup is being able to declare yourself sick! Enjoy your time on the couch!

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

Pearl, Pearl, Pearl...Get thee to a doctor. Or two doctors, for the physical and the psychological. If it is the latter, it could be Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD--perfect, right? It's SO common here in Minnesota. They treat it with special lights and lovely little pills like Zoloft or Wellbutrin. Not your stoic parents' cup of tea, but a life-changer IF that's what's up with your health. My blissed-out status is due to grandkids, but the fact that I get out of bed in the first place--at this time of year it's strictly anti-depressants. I don't mean to jump to conclusions...I'm just sayin'...check it out, girl.

Linda said...

I think Blissed Out Grandma has a good point. As a New England family we have more than one member who does not react well to the shorter days and gray skies. It's enough to make you retreat semi-permanently to your couch. I haven't tried one of those fake-sun lights yet, but every year I get closer to it.

Mike said...

Remember Monty Python? "You better get a bucket!"

Hope you feel better!

Something Happened Somewhere Turning said...

Pearl, sorry you are feeling down in the dumps. Hope you start feeling better soon.
I was surprised to see my name here today. I had forgot all about the contest. Now I just want to know all the answers.
Have a good weekend.

Lo said...

I would rather be sick that maybe-coming-down-with-something feeling. Seriously. Ugh. Hope it's temporary.
By the way, Beaux (something happened) told me to stop by. Cheers.

Tracy said...

I came here as a favor to "Something Happened Somewhere Turning," who won your contest, but I'll be coming back just because! Great blog! :)

Kavi said...

Verbal embroidery ! Thats neat !

Dont ever let go of that spirit ! You inspire !

:)

Barbara Blundell said...

Hi Pearl,
Also like verbal embroidery and cant wait to use it ! Read that 67% of visits to the doctor are the result of people thinking sick, Just hope you dont belong to the 33% and will soon stay feeling better !