The company I work for has moved – across the street. And you know what? The computers, the phones, the filing cabinets, the copy center guys, and the lunchroom paraphernalia still go in boxes, still get labeled and hauled away just like any other move.
You’d think it would be easier, just moving across the street.
But it’s not. And you know why? Because that would take away the opportunity for us to grow as human beings…
And aren’t you sometimes tired of growing, as a human being?
Couldn’t I just grow as a cat, like Jocelyn Wildenstein? OK. Maybe not like her – that one just kinda jumped out from nowhere…
How about I grow as a llama? I would get fabulous eyelashes out of the deal, plus I’d hum when pleased and spit when not. Hmm Hmm Hmmm Hmmmm! Not too far from what I’m doing now, plus there'd be lashes! I can live with that.
I don’t mind change as much as some. But that’s because I’ve had lots and lots of experience in the moving arena. You don’t grow up in a trailer without moving a couple times!
The following are some ideas I’ve come up with to make the packing and unpacking more enjoyable:
1. Hide something, preferably non-perishable, in the bottom of one of your boxes. It’ll be a treat when you find it again.
2. Use pictures of yourself as labels. Your face plus your new “address” (floor, room) gives the movers something to chuckle about.
3. Leave something interesting behind, something that says to the new occupiers of your old desk, “I was here, and I had fun”. A coupon for Beano, perhaps, or a falsified paystub from “Totally Nude Dancers, Inc.” You know, something to brighten their day.
4. Reward yourself every time you unpack a box. I’m thinking that margaritas say “I’m workin’, but I’m classy.” Try not to make “yum!” or slurping sounds or everyone will want one.
5. Build a fort with the empty boxes.
These are just preliminary ideas. You may have better ones!
Anyway, the new space is incredible – the 48th floor. The view is awe-inspiring.
Hey! I can see Russia from here!
Hmmm. Hmmm. Hmmm.
Bettered by Feathers
1 hour ago