I've been included in a Minnesota anthology "Under Purple Skies", now available on Amazon!

My second chapbook, "The Second Book of Pearl: The Cats" is now available as either a paper chapbook or as a downloadable item. See below for the Pay Pal link or click on its cover just to the right of the newest blog post to download to your Kindle, iPad, or Nook. Just $3.99 for inspired tales of gin, gambling addiction and inter-feline betrayal.

My first chapbook, I Was Raised to be A Lert is in its third printing and is available both via the PayPal link below and on smashwords! Order one? Download one? It's all for you, baby!

Friday, October 31, 2008

Now With 20% More Chicken Parts!

Overheard at the lunch table today: Yeah, it’s like the generic equivalent of the Li’l Debbie Snack Cake.

Wait a minute. The generic equivalent, you say?!

That made me laugh out loud; or, as the kids are saying these days, I LOLed.

That’s right. I’m hip to the lingo.

Anyway, the generic thing made me laugh, as there’s nothing quite so generic as a Li’l Debbie Snack Cake.

Cockroaches, gravity, and Li’l Debbie Snack Cakes are what will still be around come the end of the world.

I’m not a big fan of the black-and-white or yellow-and-black generic-label foods (depending upon where you shop) now available. Not only do they occupy precious grocery-aisle space, but they encourage a certain kind of blandness. I’ve actually heard serious conversations wherein someone claims that, say, eating generic instant mashed potatoes isn’t that bad. Isn’t that bad?! Compared to what? The real instant mashed potatoes? Or not eating at all?

Look, I’ve been known to rush dinner. Me and The Boy had oatmeal and toast one night just last week. A little milk, a little brown sugar. What the heck. Simple and filling. I’ve even been known to cook with Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup. My pork-chops-with-mushroom-gravy-and-mashed-potatoes (real) is the stuff of (personal) legend. But instant mashed potatoes? Generic instant mashed potatoes?! Unless you’re crawling on your belly, post-apocalypse, through the Australian desert with a dog, Mad-Max style, I think we can do better.

Join me tomorrow on “Pearl, Why You Little” while I get indignant about something else inconsequential!

7 comments:

Barbara Blundell said...

Hi Pearl
Thanks for solving something that's been puzzling me for ages. "LOL" Everyones writing seems to be peppered with it at every touch and turn. Now I always thought it meant "Lots of love" and wondered why this expression of affection was so frequently displayed Now, thanks to you I am Hip and know
But will the people I send LOL (lots of love ) to be thinking that I've finally flipped ?

derfina said...

I kinda feel the same way about generic ramen noodles. I mean, how fooking basic do we really wanna get?

Pearl said...

Hi, Barbara!
You are not the first person to think "lol" was "lots of love"!

Hi, Derfina!
For some reason, I'm also frightened by the concept of generic jello. What's in it???

Pearl

Kavi said...

Generics are conference discussion at pharma companies. I am glad it has moved to the kitchen and the dinner table here !
:)

LOL !!!

Unknown said...

Pearl that was hysterical. We had breakfast for dinner just last night.

The things you overhear at lunch! I once heard this from a twelve year old about his seating placement at an awards banquet.

"Yeah, that sat me next to this eight year old like he was just a regular kid."

Peace - Rene

ICKY said...

Genaric Little Debbies you say.....I've been looking for a suitable replacement when the price of a single swiss cake roll shot up to $.35. Taste means very little if the Gens. can beat that price.

rtju said...

Since you brought it up, I HATE lol. It drives me nuts. People use it WAY to often.

I have also heard people refer to it as lots-O-luck. Whatever it means, if you are sending me an e-mail or a text please do not include any lols. Thanks a lot, or as the kids say Tal