I've been included in a Minnesota anthology "Under Purple Skies", now available on Amazon!

My second chapbook, "The Second Book of Pearl: The Cats" is now available as either a paper chapbook or as a downloadable item. See below for the Pay Pal link or click on its cover just to the right of the newest blog post to download to your Kindle, iPad, or Nook. Just $3.99 for inspired tales of gin, gambling addiction and inter-feline betrayal.

My first chapbook, I Was Raised to be A Lert is in its third printing and is available both via the PayPal link below and on smashwords! Order one? Download one? It's all for you, baby!

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Happy Birthday, Stinky

Today is my son’s birthday.

He was born 24 years ago today, a week and some overdue. In the days preceding his birth, I ran/jogged/bounced several miles, double-dutch jump-roped with his father, and mowed the lawn. Civil Disobedience Baby would not be moved, however; and he did as he does today: he showed up on his own time.

The day I brought The Boy home from the hospital, I was a nervous and post-partum-depressed young woman with no idea of what to do with a baby. So I set him on the kitchen table and read him the newspaper.

He seemed to enjoy it.

He was a sweet baby; a thoughtful toddler; a child with remarkable rhythm and musical skills and more often than not, ketchup in his ears. He is now an intelligent and humorous man. His ears no longer appear to house ketchup.

In honor of his birthday, I’d like to tell a story.

I returned to school at 26 to become a court reporter. The Boy was four. In the beginning, I worked full-time (second shift), went to school full-time (first shift) and did freelance proof-reading work on the weekend. How long could I keep that up? Three months.

Money had always been tough, but it was about to get much tougher; and one night, sitting on the couch, my purse on one side, my bills on the other, I realized that I had $320 worth of bills and $273 with which to pay them. The phone calls from a collection agency, the loneliness, the pressure of the previous three months became too much to bear. I burst into tears.

That was when my son came into the room. He stood in the hallway, walked into the living room, a four-year-old in flannel pajamas, rubbing his eyes, blinking against the light.

“What’s the maddoo?”

“I – I – don’t have enough money to pay the electric bill,” I sobbed. I had never been so ashamed.

He turned around and left the room, and I covered my face. What kind of mother was I? How could I have let my son witness this?

He returned, carrying his piggy bank.

“No,” I said.

“How much is the electwic be-you?”

“No.”

“How much?”

“Forty-two dollars,” I said, wiping my eyes.

He turned the bank upside down and pried the rubber stopper out. He turned the bank over again; and a torrent of quarters, dimes, and nickels fell to the floor. He sat next to the pile and started counting out his money.

“No,” I cried. “I can’t let you pay my bills!”

He stood, putting his little hands on his hips. He looked at me sternly, and as I received my first lecture from him, he looked older than four.

“I live hee-you, don’t I? I use electwicity, don’t I?” His voice was calm. He was reasoning with me.

I nodded.

“Then let me he’p you,” he said; and he sat down again. “Wi’ you let me he’p you?”

Fifteen minutes later, towers of coins surrounded him; the product of allowances and 25-cent kisses from my best friend Paula. His face had the plump, rosy glow of a child content with himself.

His change came to just over $42; and that night, my son paid the electric bill. I put him to bed, kissing him; I put myself to bed; and I cried again, this time with pride.

He is, to this day, the boy I knew then.

He’s a good boy.

Happy Birthday, Stinky.

11 comments:

rtju said...

Very nice story. Thanks.

Kavi said...

That was such a powerful story and a wonderful narration ! Loved it !

Sometimes those small nickels and dimes are priceless in our minds !!

Fantastic. thanks for sharing.

Birthday wishes for your son

Val Aziz said...

Im almost to tears. Only mothers have the privilege to experience this kind of love..I don't understand why some woman refuse to have children? btw u look so young for the age u said u r. tips on looking this hot?

Val Aziz said...

oops sorry u didn't say ur age but i was guessing by the age of ur son..

Pearl said...

Val, if you come back, please tell Lenzaidi that I appreciate her comment and "namaste". :-) Her profile is not available and so I cannot write to her directly.

My gmail account is whyioughta2@gmail.com.

Hope you have a lovely day!

Pearl

Ugich Konitari said...

Pearl, wonderful narration. You must be my generation. We love to write on our children's birthdays. ( I did a similar thing in honor of my daughter's 21st. She has not seen it, bit it is here

Belated birthday wishes to your son . just tell me one thing. Why the name "stinky" ?

AdriansCrazyLife said...

Awwww! He's a keeper.

poosemommy said...

Wonderful story about a wonderful little (now big) boy. I hope the Poose is that thoughtful a little man as he grows.

Jennifer said...

my daughter is 14 & I have a five month old son...somedays I think I'm crazy for doing this again & then things like your story happen & you know. motherhood..it's good work if you can get it.

raydenzel1 said...

The day I brought The Boy home from the hospital, I was a nervous and post-partum-depressed young woman with no idea of what to do with a baby. So I set him on the kitchen table and read him the newspaper.
each time I read this I found I could not drink my coffee laughing so much. And the money given to you made me tear up too. lots of emotion in a few short paragraphs.

Shelly said...

Dagnabbit- made me cry! Love the feeling I have after reading this.