I've been included in a Minnesota anthology "Under Purple Skies", now available on Amazon!

My second chapbook, "The Second Book of Pearl: The Cats" is now available as either a paper chapbook or as a downloadable item. See below for the Pay Pal link or click on its cover just to the right of the newest blog post to download to your Kindle, iPad, or Nook. Just $3.99 for inspired tales of gin, gambling addiction and inter-feline betrayal.

My first chapbook, I Was Raised to be A Lert is in its third printing and is available both via the PayPal link below and on smashwords! Order one? Download one? It's all for you, baby!

Friday, August 29, 2008

Friday, 8-29-08

You know, the weeks are just speeding by. Whoosh! There goes another one. I’m gonna be old before I know it…

So what was on the iPod this morning?
Oh My God – Mark Ronson, featuring Lily Allen
Hem of Your Garment – Cake
In Our Nature – Jose Gonzalez
Island Groove – Mickey Hart
Run (I’m a Natural Disaster) – Gnarls Barkley
Super Sex – Morphine
Frankenstein – Edgar Winter

See? Now that’s just good clean fun.

I tried adding links last week so you could hear some of these; and honestly, I don’t think it worked out. Sorry. If anyone has any recommendations on how to do that, I’m all ears.

Anyway, it’s a three-day weekend coming, and you know what that means! That’s right – you get in trouble with the law and you’re in ‘til Tuesday! Ha ha.

Only partly kidding.

Still, how long has it been since there was paid time off? Two, three years? Who do you gotta know around here to get time off, European-style?

I feel like I should offer you a bum story, you’ve been so good all week… I know that Fridays have, in the past, held bum stories, but I think I’m fresh out of them. (And for the purposes of this discussion, please note that a “bum” is defined by me as anyone asking me for money they haven’t earned. This may or may not include the government, dependent upon who's asking and who's listening in.)

Oh, hey! I guess I do have a bum story, in a sense…

My son has moved home for his last year of college. I’m charging him rent, of course, but what he doesn’t know – because he never reads his mother’s blog! Can you believe it?! – is that I’m going to put half of it away for the day he moves out, a little leg-up on how ridiculous the economy is.

This assumes he moves out.

But of course he will. Again. As he should. What good is raising a son that doesn’t present himself as a good catch, a good citizen? He can cook, he can sew, he’s been spotted doing the dishes once or twice, and he’s funnier than anyone else I know. In a year, he’ll have his degree in Construction Management, go on to get his Heavy Machine Operator certification, and from there, it’s smooth sailing.

Right?

Well, that’s what we hope for. But like with all things, we do the best with what we’ve got. And that’s all I ask of The Boy – and of myself: that we all do the best we can with what we’ve got.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

Barbara Blundell said...

Hi Pearl, Thanks for comments.Re "Little House on the Prairie " Just loved it. It was serialised on TV and I watched it with my daughter when she was a little girl. Happy times !
Love reading about Minnesota. ( Had to look that up too ) We live near Blackpool.